I am Nigerian, and one of the landmark events in life is the Wedding. The coming together of two families to form another family. Such a blessing indeed to start a new life together, despite leaving the family you cam from. Leaving your fathers house, is a truly celebrated event. Big or small, it will be the most memorable event of your life. Continue reading Why I love that I had a small wedding!
If you are here, it is because you have decided to challenge yourself to my sugar detox. I plan to give you as much guidance as I can, as I expect us to all struggle but we will do so together.
If you are hesitant, let me tell you a little bit more about why this detox will change your life.
If you don’t know by now sugar is the real enemy. Since it was processed and introduced to our tables it has been causing cancer, heart disease, diabetes, illness, weight gain, fatigue, metabolic derangements, adult-onset allergies, skin rashes and conditions like psoriasis and eczema, autoimmune diseases and depression. We have become addicted to it. It has been forced on us into our diets, everywhere we turn, we are being stuffed with sugar. Both knowingly and unknowingly. It has come to the point that many of us have come to accept that we cannot go a day without sugar. Even if we know how much harm it is causing us. Is that not an addiction?
We suffer from bloating, headaches, mucus over-secretion, fatigue, mental cloudiness, diarrhea, constipation, rashes, and stubborn pounds that will not come off. We are getting sicker and sicker than the generation before us. Why do we remain so placid? Why not take a stance, instead of succumbing to the very thing that is digging our grave?!
Did you know: Sugar is more addictive than cocaine.
Sugar has become a part of our expression of love! When I love you: I buy you chocolate. When I want you to celebrate: I give you cake. When I want you to be a good kid: I give you candy, juice, soda pop, sugary cereals and snacks. Do we do this intentionally or are we really this blind? Many times, I’ve watched at birthday parties, as the kids run around frantically under a sugar high, the parents sit with their arms crossed and they have refused to partake in eating the cake and candy. Why? You gave it to your offspring. You mean to tell me you can give to your child what you know will be their demise? Diabetes is affecting children now. They are getting fatter and fatter with no self control. They are becoming sick blobs, just like the rest of us, and we just keep rolling in the white stuff.
Who is the real enemy? Maybe the food companies. It is easy to make crap and cover it with sugar and sell it cheap. Just put sugar in it an it will fly off the shelves! Call it low-fat and load it with sugar and everyone will buy it. Make it easy for people to eat, put it in bars, microwave packs and call it HEALTHY… how sad. How foolish can we be. Sugar can never be healthy. Yet, we close our eyes and guzzle it down. We eat the meal replacement with 32g of sugar. We drink the gatorade with 21g of sugar in a 5 oz bottle. There is no earthly reason why a child should be consuming juice. Juice is sugar and sugar is juice. Look at the ingredients. Water. Sugars. Concentrated chemical jargon. Give your kid and apple, not apple juice. Sugar, sugar, sugar, all day and every day, from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep.
I ask my patients, ‘have you ever JUICED and APPLE? How many apples does it take to make a cup of apple juice?’ If it sounds ridiculous stop drinking it!
You are the one to blame. You are putting wrinkles on your face, tires around your waist, roadblocks in your mind and shackles on your feet. You can’t get out of bed because you spent the day before poisoning your cells. Our bodies don’t like sugar. They protest! Sugar when loose in our systems is like an evil pin ball, more like a wrecking ball, destroying everything in its path.
So if it’s the hardest thing you do all year… why don’t you eliminate sugar? Why don’t you challenge yourself to wake up from your addiction. After all, they say sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Even if its 3 days out of your life… or even 30! You owe it to yourself after all the abuse you have self-inflicted.
You are here. So take the next step and challenge yourself to my 30 day detox, I will be challenging myself as well. If you are not a different person in 30 days, shoot me a personal email and I will try to figure out where we went wrong.
I am not selling anything. I have nothing to gain. I just want to change the way my friends and family think. I just want to spread a little knowledge.
It is a 5 level plan. The simplest entry level is elimination, the next steps are addition of different tools to rejuvenate your cells. Stay tuned for upcoming posts, the guidelines and rules. Purchase a bottle of apple cider vinegar. Go online and order some Oil of Oregano (from a reputable dealer). Subscribe to my blog for updates because starting FEBRUARY 1ST… WE ARE TAKING THE PLUNGE!
(Fill out below and get started or join the newsletter and get updates)
I’m going to be brief and to the point. With so many food options and cravings it is hard to stay true to yourself and it is hard to lose weight when you want to! The world is calling you to eat and to eat junk, not because it tastes good but because they want you to spend your money. There is always a bigger burger, a super size, a faster option than cooking at home. Trust me, if you could eat anything else, cooking at home would be a much viable option.
The truth is. I eat. Any one who knows me know that I eat a lot. I am not afraid of food. But how do I stay somewhat slim despite my unrestricted palate. There are a few beliefs I have as stated in other places in my blog that I feel that are important to use to dictate my life and eating habits. I have changed the way I see food so I never see eating what I want as a problem. Now, that in no way means that I eat whatever I want, quite the opposite. I eat less junk so that I can really indulge in what I want and not feel guilty.
I don’t believe you should ignore any food in the pyramid. Carbs are important and so are fats! You are going to need oils in your diet and you are going to have to eat sugar at many points so why fight it? There should be a healthy balance right? It kills me when I see people abstaining from carbs, I just stare like: do you really think you are going to keep that up for the rest of your life? Good luck with that. Wouldn’t it be more effective to take note of what kind of carbs you eat, what kind of fats? Make yourself accountable for what you put in your mouth. Its easy to say… nope, no carbs all proteins. That doesn’t take much mind processing. What’s harder is saying… what kind of carbs will I allow myself and how much is enough?
Now I am just going to rattle off and you can take from it what you will, these are just ideas I think you can add to your mindset. You may not agree with all of them but what you do agree with you can make something of.
- Eat simpler carbs and grains. Avoid refined breads, etc. I just avoid bleached breads, cakes, chips, donuts. These things are the devil and they are at the opposite end of my food spectrum in the red zone. If I eat these things it is rare and I’m usually making a mental note to not indulge again anytime soon. I eat lots of rice, oatmeal, farina etc. You can’t avoid these things. A lot of these food are staple foods that our ancestors indulged in daily. Do I know if these foods are broken down differently in your body? No. But I have a gut feeling that there must be something about it.
- Sugar is the enemy. I believe sugar is the root of all evil. We have enough natural sugar in our foods, why add table sugar. Anything that has sugar in the first five ingredients can’t be good for you. Sugar causes cancer. Sugar causes heart disease. Sugar causes insulin resistance. Not fat. Fat is not the enemy. Your body can handle fat, it can’t handle certain types of sugar. I stay away from sugar. I don’t eat candy, I hardly eat pastries, I certainly don’t drink sugary drinks or juices. I actually don’t drink juice period. If I need something sweet and fruity I will eat fruit, not juice, juice is sugar.
- Ex out processed foods. Come to my pantry closet, you will not see many things in boxes or bags. We don’t eat noodles, cereal, box dinners, Oreos, soda pop. Our pantry is not for storage of unperishable foods, it stores cooking utensils, Tupperware and supplements/vitamins etc. We have a weak pantry compared to the average American. Stop buying processed foods. Put it down, its gross. I bet you cant even pronounce half of the ingredients so why put it in your mouth. Greens in a bag, now you’re talking, we can do that, but bagged marshmallows… stop it!
- Make a colorful plate. Get creative. When I sit down for dinner, I judge myself on how colorful my plate is. Meat is brown, rice is white, veggie is green… pretty colorful. No color block there. I’m a simple person, I like to invite all my food groups to the party. A bowl of Ramen for dinner is un-axe-ceptable.
- Make it at home! You can have pizza, burgers, wings and the such. Try making it yourself! Yes, buy the dough or use pita bread. Get your mozzarella and tomato sauce, stack with mushroom and spinach and ricotta, throw it in the oven and watch it bubble over. That was not hard, and you feel proud that you made it yourself. Did you know one slice of your home made pizza may be half the calories of Papa Johns? And probably twice as nutritious! I throw my own burger on the grill all the time, I usually indulge in topping like charred jalapeño, grilled mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese for a tower like sandwich that is hard to stuff in my mouth. When I compare this to a McDonalds… its laughable. I would much rather make my own burger, any day. And it doesn’t take as much effort as you think. You can even mock the menu. I love Chinese take-out and I have made my own sesame chicken and beef broccoli many a times, and trust me when I eat it I know exactly what I’m eating. When you prepare your food, you are more likely to be gentler at the hand when it comes to salt, sugar, butter and oils. The food chains, they will dump the butter by the load and take your money for it.
- Don’t stop! Seriously, don’t stop. Don’t do it. Don’t pull into the drive thru, don’t let them take your order and don’t give them your money. Stay strong, drive home. You are more likely to make better food decisions when you are pulling it out of your fridge. If impulse is your problem, pack some carrots or crackers for those moments that you know you will be dying to eat and your spirit will be weak. Its hard to be dying for Taco Bell with cracker crumbs in your mouth.
- Drink water and only water. This piggy backs off of rule number 2. No other drink is necessary. Well, for me I like my wine (red, bitter) and I like my coffee (black, bitter). Drinks are empty calories. Empty calories! Look at that bottle in your hand. 2 serving, 200 calories each. 400 calories if you drink that in one sitting. Do you know what 400 calories means to me? That is 4 miles on the treadmill. Yes, 4 miles. So if you think running 4 miles is hard then it should be just as hard to guzzle a bottle of Fanta. Juice is no better. Have you ever seen someone make apple juice? Me neither. There is no such thing as apple juice. If I want apple juice I will eat an apple and settle. Have you expressed juice from a grape? Its not purple. Why are you playing yourself? Stop drinking that poison.
- Milk is a fattener. Need I say more? Who was milk made for. End of story, I cannot drive this in any more than I already have. Avoid milk. Avoid dairy. I love cheese, I love milk stuff. But guess what, when I indulge I know that I am indulging in a fattener.
- There is no good cereal on the planet. Sorry. Cereal is not good for you. Cereal is sugar. Sugar is the devil. Cereal is the devil in angel clothing. There is no difference from Honey Nut Roasted Blah blah to Frosted blahblah to Cinnamon Toasted blahblah. It’s all the same. Look at the sugar content, very similar. And to top it off, you have to pair it with milk. What the what? Nope. I lost weight when I gave up cereal. Struggle weight, lol.
- Alcohol is calories babe. All those Rum Runners and El Grande margaritas are loaded with sugar that adds inches to your waist. I like alcohol too, but I’ll be damned if I let a drink derail my weeks progress. You only need to cut 500 calories a day to loose a pound in a week. If you guzzle 4 drinks at Kona happy hour… welp. Try going straight. I’m not a stranger to sipping on an iced double shot throughout the night, remember I don’t believe in juice. Mind you its been a while since I’ve needed a double shot of whatever, but the point still carries. Drinks are empty calories, choose your poison wisely or deal with it.
- Diet foods are not diet foods. Why do you trust an industry to tell you what is low-fat and low calorie? Firstly, fat isn’t bad, take it in moderation. They say low-fat and push sugar on you when sugar is the real villain. Most diet food are in bags and boxes… so its already breaking a few of my no-nos. And many diet food are cereal bars. Ok, they get no play in my day. Next.
- Drink water before your meal. Did you know half the time you feel hungry you are really thirsty? Have you ever drank a glass of water and thought, wow… I can’t eat all of that now. Drink water and drink it often. Water is not the enemy. It will actually wash away your blemishes, wash out your impurities and wash away your sins (lol, if you are being baptized.) Cut water some slack, you are 2/3 water, stop acting like its so bad for you and embrace it.
- Don’t count on exercise to correct you diet mistakes. This is a big misconception. You can use exercise to add to what you are doing in the kitchen, but do not rely on exercise to right your wrongs. What does exercise do to most people? It makes them hungry! What do they do? Eat! So now you ate bad to begin with, ran a measly mile and you want to follow it with diet bars, cereal and victory mimosa. Chill! If you can’t get your diet right you might as well not waste your time in the gym. The gym is a supplement and not the answer. Plus running a mile burns approximately 100 calories, that’s half a bag of M&Ms, do you smell me?
- Portion control. A great man once said, eat as much as you want so long as it is green. Anything else should be eaten in moderation. You want a salad, the dressing can foil in if you go overboard. Many times I have eaten a burger and fries and still eaten better than friends at the table who order the Jumbo Mega-tron Chicken Caesar salad where each piece of lettuce is doused in creamy ranch and designed with crunchy croutons, chunks fried chicken, bacon bits, and egg. Look at what you are eating. Look at your bowl/plate, is that appropriate. I got rid of al my large bowl and plates, that’s a lie, I actually just stopped eating out of them. I use smaller dishes to serve myself and guess what? I’m no more hungrier than I was when I ate with the serving platter. I didn’t need that much food. I didn’t need to finish that entrée at Chili’s (I hardly ever go out to eat), I didn’t need to supersize that order, I didn’t need another serving of rice. Get it? Control yourself and you can eat whatever you want.
- Stop dieting! Diets don’t work. They are a quick fix, and you always gain it back. Change the way you eat forever and you will see more sustainable results.
It takes 30 days to make a habit and 30 days to break a habit. 30 days is a long time and it is hard! Trust me, when you abstain from something for long enough it is hard making it the center of your life. Test yourself, give up something for one month and see if it rules you anymore after that. My bet is that it wont. Take your time, you will fail more than once, I did and I ate a slice of pizza at a potluck. Who care, as long as you are working towards a healthy lifestyle it wont matter, as long as you stay on the high road.
Hope that helps!
Any questions? Post them below!